Using Token2 programmable hardware tokens with Facebook
Facebook is a social networking site that makes it easy for you to connect and share with family and friends online. Originally designed for college students, Facebook was created in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg while he was enrolled at Harvard University. By 2006, anyone over the age of 13 with a valid email address could join Facebook. Today, Facebook is the world's largest social network, with more than 1 billion users worldwide.
Two-factor authentication is a security feature that helps protect your Facebook account in addition to your password.
Facebook allows using Token2 programmable tokens and Token2 security keys as methods for two-step verification.
The guide below will show you the steps for enabling 2FA using our programmable tokens (as a replacement for authenticator applications).
Requirements:• A Facebook account
• Any of the Token2 TOTP programmable tokens
• An app for provisioning the programmable tokens (NFC burner or USB Config tool, depending on the model). The list of compatible apps is available here.
Step 1. Enable the 2FA method1) Log in to your Facebook account, click on your profile avatar,and select 'Settings and privacy'. Then click on 'Settings'.
2) Go to "Password and security" on the "Accounts Center" panel.
3) Navigate to "Password and security" and click on "Two-factor authentication".
4) Choose the account for activation with 2FA. Then enter the account's password to continue.
5) On the popup window with authentication methods, select the "Authentication app" option and click "Next".
6) A QR code will be displayed in the browser that you will scan using one of the provisioning tools in the next step.
Step 2. Provision the token
- Launch the NFC burner app on your Android device and hit the "QR" button
- Point the camera to the QR code shown on the account page. Upon a successful QR scan, the camera window should disappear
- Turn on the token and touch it with your phone (make sure it is overlapped by the NFC antenna) and click "Connect" on the app
- Upon successful connection, click the "Burn seed" button. If NFC link is established and the code is correctly scanned, you should see a status window showing "Burning..." and eventually (in a second or two), "burn seed successful.." message in the log window
Follow the steps below to perform setting the seed for your token using Windows App.
1. Launch the exe file, then select the NFC device from the drop-down list and click on "Connect". You should see a message box notifying about a successful operation.
2. Enter the seed generated (in base32 format) :
3. Place the token onto the NFC module and wait for its serial number to appear.
4. Click on "Burn seed" button. A log entry with the serial number and "Successful operation" text will be logged in the log window.
- Launch the NFC burner app on your iPhone device and hit the "scan QR" button
- Point the camera to the QR code shown on the account page. Upon a successful QR scan, the camera window should disappear and the seed field will be populated with the hex value of the seed
- Touch the Burn button, then turn on the token and touch the top of your iPhone with the token
- Check the results of the process in the Results log field
Please note that the procedures above are shown only as examples and are valid to single profile TOTP tokens only. The procedure for multi-profile and USB-programmable devices are similar but slightly different
Step 3. Verify the OTPAfter the token provisioning is done, turn the token off and back on. Enter the OTP provided by the hardware token and click 'Next'.
Then click "Done" to complete the enrollment process.
Now you have successfully enabled Token2 programmable token to protect your account. You will be prompted to enter the OTP each time you log in to your Facebook account.
Subscribe to our mailing list
Want to keep up-to-date with the latest Token2 news, projects and events? Join our mailing list!